Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Dropkick a Finch

Okay, so I figure that I should post even though I haven't read the book yet, if only to tell you that I meant it 2 weeks ago when I said that I wouldn't be reading the book until the night before. I read about 100 pgs over spring break, so I am about to being a 900 page journey in to this book. I'm not gonna lie, I'm not so impressed right about now. So far, I agree with Casey that so many things could have been left out, and that's in the first 100 pages! So, I will post again when I have finished the book. My estimated time is at the latest, midnight (it's about 7pm now), but I feel that I might finish before that. Hopefully my opinion of this book will get better by the time I am done.


****Okay, I have now finished the novel, so I figured I would write a post-reading moment. So, I actually ended up enjoying the book, except for the fact that it took me more than half the way into it to get hooked. I really didn't get interested in the story until the Strange starts his madness. However, after that point, my expectations were definitely met. I wonder, though, if all the stuff in the beginning was really necessary. Now, I'll admit to enjoying some of the stories about Strange doing magic, but there was a lot of stuff mentioned that I really didn't care about. However, the ending made up for the first half of the book being silly. I adored Stephen, and I was so glad that he became the new King. I was definitely rooting for him the entire story. Also, as much as I didn't care for Norrell, Strange is a fascinating character. I rather enjoyed reading about his exploits. I was really happy that everyone got a happy ending (except for the gentleman, of course, but I feel that he deserved his end). I hate sad endings. They always make me angry that I read the book. I guess I figure that if I want sad endings, then I can watch the news or something. So, yea for happy endings! Sad endings are a cop out! And yea for Strange and Norrell finally being able to study magic in peace, together. It was very heartwarming!

So I was basically very content with the ending of this novel. So, overall, my rating would be about a 7. The beginning was long and drawn out and it took me way to long to get emotionally involved with this book. However, once exciting things started to happen, I really enjoyed reading the end. So, see everyone later today. Oh, and it took me longer than I thought to finish the book. I finished at around 1:00 am, which is an hour behind what I had figured. But no hassle, I often stay up late reading, much to my regret the next morning in class (when I fall asleep...). Okay, my rambling is done for the day. See you all in about 13 hours!!

No comments: