Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Another Word for Science is Faith

I loved the reasoning behind this story. I took an Intro to Religious Studies class my freshman year and all we talked about was how just about anything could be considered a religion. While I consider football (except Alabama's) to be a bit of a stretch as far as religions go, science and academia is not that far of a stretch. We have professors that teach facts they believe to be true based upon the literature. The students must have faith in the professors and the authors of those papers when learning the material. Those that do not accept the material are removed from the group in some way. I think I smell a paper topic in this somewhere.

2 comments:

Erica said...

I felt the same way as I read it. At first, I wasn't sure how to interpret the story as a whole...I thought I had it, but I wasn't quite confident in it...this helps me. Thanx! :)

jessie said...

If only our academic prayers combined could create papers out of thin air!