Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Devil's Backbone

I saw Del Toro's 'spiritual prequel to PAN'S LABYRINTH' over the break, and I just have to rave about it. If you haven't seen it yet- RUN don't walk to the nearest foreign films section and rent it. It is absolutely divine. There are so many parallels between these two masterpieces and it is SO much fun to discuss them (maybe only if you're a nerd, but STILL!). The mother figures from each respective movie are both named Carmen, and the villains are both stuck in time, as it were. The heroes are both absolutely awesome children dealing with very adult matters. Even the beginnings of the movies are eerily alike. I would love to talk with people, via comments, about WHY this movie is a 'spiritual prequel.' There are, of course, many ideas that repeat in both movies, but what is it, exactly, that links them in a thematically sequential way?

ALSO! For anyone who hasn't heard, Del Toro will be directing a production of THE HOBBIT, scheduled to hit theaters in 2010 (I think). Are you excited? Me too!

ALSO! Has anyone seen Del Toro's latest film, THE ORPHANAGE? It was in theaters in December, but I didn't even know it existed until the break when I was actively engaged in Del Toro research.

1 comment:

Laurie S said...

Awesome! Glad to hear good reviews! I'm always looking for more foreign language films to watch... And holy cow! The Hobbit!

Why, yes, I am excited about that.