Wednesday, March 12, 2008

How to Know The Blog (and Life) Hates You...

...It magically (haha magically- get it?) deletes your comments every time you try to post them. You retype them numerous times only to have them eaten again. It freezes in the middle of your post so you frantically highlight and copy your words so they don't become payment to the God Devouring CyberSubmissions (yes saving is a wonderful concept, but when I get going...). And then it takes an extra 5 hours to load each page. Okay, rant done. I get it Oh god of the Internet! You are angry... :)
For real now. After reading everyone's previous posts i found myself doing my usual head nodding and shaking. Yes, Winkie was entirely off-kilter and a little creepy (thanks Andy, I live ALONE!). However, I really disliked Pol Pot that story just did not mesh with me at all even though it seems to be the class favorite. But no one has even mentioned the one I liked: A Fearful Symmetry. It read like a classic. I am really glad though that the intro said "gentle fable involving a ghost" because after Muldoon I have created a screening process as to which stories I will read late at night, by myself, cowering and waiting for mean ghosts to burst through the door. But with Symmetry we have one of the ghost stories I loved as a child where ghosts are not something to be feared but just another extension of humanity, and sometimes, well most of the time, they need help. When I was younger I read a book about a ghost cadet and a watch lost in a tree and by the end of stories like that one and this one I really find myself sympathizing with their ghostly problems. Weird, I know. I think the root of it is that I am in actuality terrified!! of ghosts and I keep trying to find ways to get over my phobia. Anyways, Symmetry is written as a story within a story which worked really well for the author, Minsoo Kang. He was able to explore so much range by doing this. And it made his ghost even that much more striking, that after all of these generations she was still weeping. I really liked it! At the end, I just wanted her to be at peace minus the creepy way that the author says something like "She will live on, she lives in you dun dun duuuuuuuuuunn".
Have an amazing Spring Break everyone!!!

No comments: