Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I have the flu :(

So, I tried to get up and take a shower in order to go to class, but I failed and almost blacked out. I hate the flu, ugh. Hopefully, I can lead my story from here.

I had "The Annals of Eelin-Ok," and I must say, it was definitely a delightfully refreshing story from Link's stories. However, I'm glad we started off with Link because in reading her stories, I had to think a different way in order to interpret them, which I applied to Ford as well. This particular story wasn't just about faeries and how cute they are, living in our sandcastles; on the contrary, I believe Ford wrote this in order to capture human beings' most basic needs and instincts. It's true that little Eelin only lived for about a day, but in that day, he experienced what most humans go through their lives trying to explain. The following is going to be a list of traits we humans share with the faeries, with the page numbers:
  • pg. 7, Eelin creates things out of his surroundings
  • pg. 9, he questions his purpose in life and wants to assign a meaning to his existence
  • pg. 11 his need for companionship is satisfied
  • pg. 12 he has an innate sense to protect his territory
  • pg. 12 Eelin and Meiwa take on to the traditional man/woman roles; he provides and she is delicate and sweet
  • pg. 13 Pleasure, imagination, carnal desires are obvious when Eelin wakes next to Meiwa and eats the delicious berries (which only taste better because of the circumstances)
  • pg. 14 he realizes the true impact of death, and thus destroys the watch and "time"
  • pg. 14 he accepts how weak he is to the forces of nature "I realized that my heart was a castle made of sand"
  • pg. 15 His dreams are similar to ours, in that we hunt for our desires and goals.
Well, I hope you guys have a fun class :( See yall next week.

No comments: