Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Words are in My Brain

I have really enjoyed reading Ford's stories. Every single one ends in such a way that I find myself thinking about the characters and their world's long after I put the book down. If you read the story notes at the end of each story Ford makes a comment about his inspirations for the story. Many of these are drawn from his own personal experiences. As much as I find myself day dreaming about his characters I wonder if he really did meet a man who could hide words subconsciously.

As others have mentioned, Ford does not leave as much of the interpretation of his stories to the reader as Link does. He fills in plot details while leaving just enough room to make one wonder about the rest of the world his characters live in. These details bring his stories to life for me. I love how he draws me into his world then just before the story finishes he writes something that leaves me with chills. I must say that I like the way things are going with these readings now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked that he put notes at the end of his stories. The only part of Link that I am still a little frustrated with is the fact that we have absolutely no idea what is swimming around in her head. At any point. Now, I wouldn't want to read these types of notes about every author, but after encountering the enigma that is Kelly Link, it's nice to have someone to give a little insight; it's like seeing a friendly face at the moment.