Friday, January 11, 2008

Obligatory intro post :)

I was also absent the first day of class (not that I didn't want to be there!), and so I thought I'd go ahead and say hello here.

I'd have to go with the short route with my ideas on fantasy and say that it is a genre where the author can write almost anything they want as long as it has some element of the weird in it. Fantasy can be an AU on our current history, have mythical beings, creatures/ people with magic, and doesn't require an explanation.

I can't say for sure when I started to have an interest in fantasy only that it was sometime in my childhood. Though to be perfectly honest, I'd have to say that a great deal of children's books are fantasy. I mean what else would you call a story that has talking animals? Or Dr. Seuss, the Magic School Bus, and many of the Disney movies? I'd almost say it was natural to continue to be interested in the same in adulthood. You don't stop having an imagination after puberty after all.

For a short list of people I'm likely to read: Jacqueline Carey, Terry Pratchett, and Rachel Caine.

No comments: