Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Zombies

I really liked the short story "Some Zombie Contingency Plans". Soap was always talking about the Zombies and how he thought people did not take them seriously enough. He was always saying people needed to plan for everything. Well it seems to me that the girl in the story was not vigilant enough.

Soap seemed to be a Zombie himself. Here he was with no real life just walking into random parties and making himself at home. He was just like the walking dead. Its like prison was his death and now he is left to wonder the Earth. If the girl had a Zombie contingency plan she would not have just let this guy who was a confessed felon in her house. As for the other posts talking about links between the stories I just don't see it with this one. Perhaps the death theme that seems to go through them all but that would be the only connection I see. What does everyone else think?

2 comments:

Jessica Trevino said...

huh, I hadn't thought of this story that way. At first, I was just so mad at the girl for being so naive. But I do understand what you're saying, and the part where you say that if the girl had had a plan, she wouldn't have let him ... I totally agree with it. He was just testing her the whole time, and she failed, despite her remarked interest in the conversation.

lsbass said...

I actually read this story as having such a normal, well at least common, basis. I mean really our whole culture is about being prepared for that ultimate doomsday "worst case scenario" (there's even a book and television show of the same name). I felt like what Soap was doing really wasn't all that different than me going out and buying up all the canned goods at Publix before a hurricane. Except of course that I don't have a psychotic edge. Well, not one so visible...:)