Sunday, February 3, 2008

1 <3 73rRy Pr47Ch377!! r0X0rs!

Did you know there are English to leet translators? Because I just found out.
Anyway, I just wanted to note that mention of "Circumcising Dracula" is perfect for Pratchett. Not necessarily for the antisemitic roots (1922 German film Nosferatu anyone?), but because Pratchett makes fun of vampire related gender stereotypes -- which is what the title made me think of. That's one of the (many) reasons I love Pratchett so much. Even when characters really really want to be the typical fantasy-story character, they just can't. They're too real. In other words, they possess too many of humankind's natural flaws -- entirely inappropriate for being a sexy vampire, poised princess, or stalwart hero. It has been a while since I last read Monstrous Regiment, but I remember finding Pratchett's sentiments on war appropriate to the times, and I'm sure it still is. The narrative offers great twists and turns, so I hope everyone enjoys reading this as much as I love reading anything Pratchett!

1 comment:

Casey S. said...

Taking off from your thread, Jessie, I really enjoyed the way Pratchett played around with stereotypes. You mentioned that these characters are too 'real' to be literary archetypes, and, to an extent, I agree. But I also think that Pratchett messes with us a little bit by placing these stereotypical fantasy tropes in his novel but tweaking them a bit. Polly IS the clever hero, Maladicta IS a creepy vampire, Jade IS a slow troll...and yet they all possess something that makes them unique. I mean, we all know about vampires being rather sensitive to sunlight, but has anyone ever encountered a photographer vampire with filter problems? And Polly is pretty adamant that she IS a soldier, even though she isn't your *ahem* regular fighting man.