Tuesday, February 5, 2008

About Ford's plots...

Overall, I liked The Empire of Ice Cream, but I got a little annoyed at the end of it because of all the repetition in his plot structure. At least every other story ended with some sort of cyclical event. Normally, I would probably quite enjoy this type of structure in a lone story, but with all of these stories in the same book (and so many of them with ending cyclically)... it got a little too much after a while. I still like his writing, still like his stories, but it made them awfully predictable after a while.

Anyone else bothered by this?

2 comments:

Crystal E. said...

Yeah,the "Oh my Gah! I am in the story that I just heard about" theme did get at little old. Like you said, if they were stories by themselves I dont think that the repetition would have been so noticeable.

Erica said...

I kind of liked it, actually. Even though it may be repetitive, I thought it was kind of like having a common theme to tie the book together.