Monday, February 25, 2008

el laberinto del fauno

So, I had already seen Pan's Labyrinth, and it was awesome the first time; but seeing it again was so much better. I bawled at the end, as soon as her mommy comes out on the throne. I wish the little girl could have had a better end, instead of being killed by the a**hole, but I could tell she was happy living her fairytale life. Hopefully, she didn't feel any pain.

Escapism!!! Miserable reality... you invent your own world... like the little girl did. But I still don't understand how she got out of the locked and guarded room.

And time: I'm sure it symbolized something big bc the guy kept bringing out the stopwatch every 15 minutes, and then the story about his dad dying... I'm still trying to figure that one out.

3 comments:

Andy Duncan said...

A further indicator of the importance of time: Writer-director Guillermo del Toro's first feature film was titled Cronos.

Kalen said...

Was that her mother on the throne? Her real one and not the one underground? That changes the whole story for me if it was.

Casey S. said...

I think that the Captain's anal obsession with time reflects a major difference between the real world and the fantasy world. In the fantasy realm that Ofelia discovers, time means practically nothing. She has been a princess for countless ages and her rebirth can stretch into infinity. The Captain, however, lives in a world dictated by fleeting time. Just a thought.