Monday, February 4, 2008

Very interesting author (pratchett)

I didn't know if pratchett was a women or a guy...so I decided to wiki it, and in the process saw some pretty interesting things.

First of all, I'm glad the author was a man. It just makes the book so much better knowing that it wasn't based off of a women's horrible experiences with men, and her retaliating against them in general.

Second, the technical aspect of the book:
  • The footnotes -- it was a different experience having that in a fantasy book. I don't know if I particularly like it since it felt like I was reading a research paper....but eh, it was something different.
  • No chapters -- whoa, did anybody else have a problem in stopping when reading? The action never really stopped after the second half, and if it did pause, I never wanted to stop at a certain point in case something super interesting was going to come up on the next page. Just thought I'd mention that.
Overall criticism: After the first 1/3 of book -- super, couldn't put it down, makes me want to read the next book

2 comments:

Court said...

I also really liked that the author was a man. I don't think I would've liked the story as much had I known that it was a woman writing it. I would've had the suspicion that she was bitter over some man. With that said, I also have a lot of respect for Pratchett for writing a story with such strong and dedicated women in it.

Jessica Trevino said...

Oh, I wanted to add something:

Blouse's goal to have an article of clothing after him....funny! Fingerless gloves? lol. I didn't expect that.