Thursday, February 14, 2008

Clarion and Clarion West

I don't know whether any of you are interested in writing science fiction and fantasy fiction at some point, or whether you know anyone who is, but I highly recommend that anyone with such an interest consider applying, at some point, to the Clarion or Clarion West workshops. (Many people apply to both simultaneously, then see what happens.)

You'd need a summer free of other obligations, and the tuition/room/board can be pricey, but most attendees (including me) have a blast, and countless alumni (including me) have found it a transformative experience. I was a student at Clarion West 1994 and have taught at Clarion 2004 and Clarion West 2005.

I mention it now because both workshops are coming up on the application deadline for summer 2008, which is March 1.

This year's Clarion instructors include two writers on our syllabus, Kelly Link (Magic for Beginners) and Geoff Ryman ("Pol Pot's Beautiful Daughter"), plus James Patrick Kelly (author of Burn, on my fall 2007 syllabus), Mary Anne Mohanraj, Neil Gaiman and Nalo Hopkinson. This year's Clarion West instructors include Paul Park, Mary Rosenblum, Cory Doctorow (author of two novels on my fall 2007 syllabus), Connie Willis, Sheree R. Thomas and Chuck Palahniuk.

Clarion is in San Diego, Clarion West in Seattle. (Yes, Clarion West is farther east than Clarion; it's a long story.)

I do not generally recommend the Clarions to folks who don't thrive in workshop/deadline situations, for obvious reasons. But I'm always willing to talk to anyone who's interested, not just in summer 2008 but anytime. Pass the word.

No comments: