Wednesday, February 20, 2008

My opinion: without the influence of the other blogs

Ok, so I totally forgot to blog this week since we didn't have any readings the week before. I finally finished reading all the stories last night, and I haven't read all the other posts so they won't have any influence on what I want to say.

First of all, I loved them! They were all so out of the ordinary, completely new settings/creatures, and it really stretched my imagination realm. I'm pretty sure each story had somewhat of a message or a complaint about society. Or maybe the author went through something that he wanted to symbolize through the form of a story, like "Femaville 29." That story was probably in response to the FEMA errors committed in the aftermath of Katrina, and he wanted to let the mass audience know of how exactly life was in the camp, psychologically. We see the toll it took on the people after the newness wore off as he describes the tenseness and frustration so well. But the most profound effect is the new city the kids build. He obviously does not have the ability to imagine such stretches of reality since he grew out of it long before, but the "fact" that he sees it along with all the other people lets you know how intense the loss from the hurricane was. These people had nowhere to go, so it really affected them subconsciously, and made them see something that wasn't there-- a solution. Since the ones presented to them (or forced upon them) had no appeal, their minds had to create something to appease the soul.

I have so much more to say!!! But I'll wait until class to elaborate on this idea, and for the other stories.

No comments: