Monday, February 4, 2008

Class Discussion

I really enjoyed the class discussion last week and hearing the many different takes on Ford's works. I have to admit, I preferred The Empire of Ice Cream to Magic for Beginners and I believe it was because Ford's stories made more sense to me. That said, there were plenty of times where the reader had to whip out the "willing suspension of disbelief" card in order to make sense of things, and this was pointed out, much to my surprise, repeatedly in class. I realize this is simply my opinion, but Ford's stories made much more sense to me than Link's stories, and yet no one really asked why or how when we were discussing Link. Maybe her stories are just so off-the-wall that the reader has to accept them at face value, because I feel that if I started asking why with Link, I would never stop. With Ford, yes there were a few inconsistencies, and maybe that's why they were so...inconsistent...because the rest of the work made "relative" sense. Nothing really deep or profound, just something I thought about in class.

No comments: