Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I think I'm falling a bit behind...

I promise, I'll post another blog in addition to this one soon to make up for missing last week because my computer decided one day that it didn't feel like turning on anymore. After wiping the whole thing clean and reinstalling everything, however, it is mostly back to the way it was and I should be able to post like I've never posted before!

Anyway, on the topic of my story...

I'm not really sure how I feel about The Night Whiskey. I can say that I liked the sort of old-fashioned, small town feel of it, which was added to by the story of the deathberry, which had been passed down for generations. I'm not really so sure about the people getting all drunk and going to sleep in trees, although I guess being up high and only lightly supported by the branches of a tree can only add to the dreamlike quality of whatever high you're on.

I tried and tried to find some sort of deeper meaning for the whole deal where Pete brings his wife back from the other dimension, and the only thing I can come up with is that, since all sorts of bad, unfortunate things happened after he brought her back and they "killed" her again, you shouldn't try to disturb how things are? Maybe? Like, if you have the opportunity to meet face-to-face with a dead friend or relative, don't ruin it by trying to transport them back to your dimension.

I can kind of see a correlation between Pete's dead wife (whose name I can't recall at the moment) and the deathberry itself; it's like, the deathberry grows from a bush (a living thing) out of the carcasses of animals (a dead thing). Pete's wife is, essentially, a dead thing, which ends up as a sort of living thing, but it's like a mutated living thing. She doesn't look or act exactly how she did in life, but for technical purposes, I suppose it could be said that she is alive. The deathberry, while alive, is a sort of mutated version of its original form, i.e. a regular berry. Normal berries are usually somewhat sweet, good to eat (most of the time), while the deathberry cannot be consumed except in its fermented form, the Night Whiskey.

I'll try to scramble my brains to come up with more by class time. I don't think I'm awake yet.

1 comment:

Jessica Trevino said...

I think the story had a different meaning: it states somewhere in the story that since the town couldn't change from the outside, it had to change from the inside; hence, the arrival of the mutant. And I doubt killing her was the right thing to do. If you notice, all the people involved with her killing were deeply affected by it... the sheriff was on his death bed, the doctor was on the verge of overdosing on his own medication, etc. So, obviously, the wrong was done in getting rid of her. If you remember in the beginning of the story, they were told not to interfere with the process, so them killing her did exactly that. they were supposed to let her live and see what change she could have brough upon the town.