Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Love love love

I have one major complaint about this, my first Terry Pratchett novel: why oh why did we have to read it during the same week that I have a paper due and two tests?! I couldn't put the thing down! I read the back but had no idea about what Discworld really is (turns out it didn't matter all the much in the content of the story but thanks Kalen for explaining, I was curious). I love the comedic footnotes and the witty banter. From the beginning, I was very involved in the book and its characters. I will definitely look into reading some more Pratchett, any recommendations? Some things really did stick out to me though. For some reason I really wanted Maladict to be a boy but I was glad everyone else was a girl. Except for Sergeant Jackrum. I thought the book would have been more powerful if he had been a man who finally understood what a woman could achieve. Women already know that were amazingly capable :). Just with the point being that they wanted women to be able to have more freedoms and join the army undisguised, I thought it would have meant so much more for a man's man of power and intelligence (no offense Blouse) to recognize that. As for General Froc? Genius! Did it strike anyone else that some a 'girl power' book was written by a man? Just wondering because it sure gave major props to Pratchett as far as I am concerned. And Andy, I expect a note written to my Psych professor. It was totally your and this book's fault that I couldn't concentrate on that paper! :)

1 comment:

jessie said...

You'll definitely want to read The Wee Free Men, The Color of Magic, and The Light Fantastic. Then you'll want to go ahead and read everything else Pratchett has written. That's been my tactic anyway.