Tuesday, February 26, 2008

*insert Wizard Swear here*

So, about Pan's Labyrinth...I'm pretty sure I liked it, but it didn't exactly jump out at me like, wow! That was an amazing movie! Although I'm pretty sure it would have been a bit more exciting if I had seen it in a real movie theater as opposed to on the projector screen in the classroom in Nott. That's okay. It was good. And, as for the fantasy versus escapism debate, I'm undecided. It seemed like it was real enough, but for me at times, it just seemed like that this was a little girl's imaginative way to have something of her own to just be there and be something special that she was involved in. I think the only thing that lends fact to the argument that it is real and fantastical is the little blurb in the beginning of the movie that talks about the past. Otherwise, the creepy faun guy was not very convincing to me. It was kind of like, "Do these three tasks by the time the moon is full and maybe I won't eat you." I guess what the story needed was more of a background. If there had been a more detailed underlying plot that tied everything together (in the fantastical world, not the real world), I think it would have been more believable as fantasy.

I have a very long introduction to my paper written. Now I'm going to try to drag myself back in and see if I can't get closer to 1,000 words by the end of the night.

Will power, don't fail me now!

2 comments:

lsbass said...

Catchy, catchy title! Lol. In continuation of your post: whoa violence! I had to cover my eyes for like half of the movie. What was del Toro aiming for with that? Was he trying to be so graphic as to express the brutality of the real world and make us appreciate all the more the imaginary worlds we escape to? Maybe... I'm still not sure. :)

Crystal E. said...

Hahaha! Yeah the faun was a little sketch. The whole three task deal seemed a little classical. I just think that the faun was more sketch when he started showing up randomly in the little girls bedroom. Almost like he was lurking in the shadows. Pretty weird ;|